Do Hard Things.

.
"Challenge is a dragon with a gift in its mouth. Tame the dragon and the gift is yours". ~ Noela Evans.

You never know who you are going to bump into in life and what they will remember about you. I was standing in the buffet line at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, during a recent trade show, when someone tapped me on the shoulder. "Sarge" a voice said. Well it had been over thirty years since anyone called me that, but I turned to look at an older but familiar face. "Ronnie Smith what are you doing these days?" I said. Ronnie was a young soccer player I had coached many years ago, right after i had gotten out of the military. "I just got back from China" he said, and I wanted to spend a few days "R and R in Vegas" before my next jaunt overseas. " What the heck were you doing in China?" I said. He smiled and tilted his head slightly, looking right to recall the memory. Remember what you used to tell us in practice - every single practice? I did. "Do what others can't or won't."

You know there is a book out in the bookstores right now called "Do Hard Things" and it reminds me of what you used to say. I took that stuff to heart Ronnie said. I went into the service and became a Quiet Professional and then later went to work for Oxfam. For the last three years I have been in Yongjing county in China helping with relief efforts. I had to learn the Chinese dialect Sijiaji and let me tell you that was a hard thing to say the least. "Too many people go through their lives just dealing with what comes their way", he whispered, and I determined I was not going to be one of those people. I have two kids in college and do you know what I drum into their heads?
"Do Hard Things" and "Do What Others Can't or Won't"

Ronnie said. If there's one piece of advice I would give to anyone who asks me how they can get more satisfaction from their life I'd say:

Do Hard Things.

Ronnie made me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment