Leadership & Likeability.



"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." ~ Bill Cosby.

Think about the leaders you respect the most. Whether from history, business, or personal experience. Were they like-able? I'm not talking about the idiosyncrasies of personality - everyone has those. I'm not talking about those jerks who callously disregard the human equation.
















I'm simply asking "Were they like-able?" We can all agree upon the common denominators of like-ability ~ People who listen, care, are selfless, giving and amusing, tend to do well on the like-ability scale.
People who do what we want, when we want, and accept us unconditionally are very like-able. People that don't judge us ~ or hold us accountable to their unreasonable standards are usually like-able.

We like people like us ~ and people who like us.

Are the greatest leaders we know like-able? Is it necessary for us to like them? I've known and worked with some great leaders, in both business and the military, over the years, and from my perspective likability was always a bonus - respect, however, was a necessity.

Me? ~ I tend to like those I respect ~ even when I don't like them.

But then again ~ I guess it all depends on what you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment